Friday 12 July 2013

Southern Bavaria & Austria part 10 - Kehlsteinhaus

After Salzburg i set off to find Hitlers Eagles Nest - Kehlsteinhaus. This was not straight forward at first my tomtom was telling me to go down some random back street on Berchesgarden town. Eventually I found it by following signs for Khelsteinhaus as explained by a guy at a service station. It turns out you can get as far as the car park at the foot of the main road and you have to get a bus for 16 euro return that includes the ride in the elevator. German bikers told me what to do and also to ride the alpine toll road then catch the bus. So I did the road cost 4 euro and was worth it!

So eventually after a 20 minute bus journey I made it.


Here's a pic of me stood near that balcony wall you see him and Eva Braun in that silent movie.
There are windows now but it still looks the same. What was really spooky was after leaving the bus you must walk thru a tunnel to get the lift up the rest of the way. This tunnel echoed to my motorcycle boots but I imagined Jackboots marching under there too sent shivers down my spine.



View of  Konigssee the lake where I  staying tonight.

It's humbling to think while the world was at total war the mad men were sat up here plotting the next move. Also amazing to follow in the footsteps of the allied liberators too. Reminds me of Easy Company in Band of Brothers series raiding his wine cellar!





No comments:

Post a Comment