Sunday 5 July 2020

R1250 GS - Test Ride

So, with this lockdown still in place, though gradually easing but with no realistic chance of a tour ride abroad this year, I decided to take a test ride on the latest BMW R 1250 GS just to see what it was really like. As a big GS fan for some years I'd avoided taking out the 1250 Shift-Cam model since its introduction in late 2018 and wanted to give it a few years to avoid the usual media hype and wait to see what issues if any may arise with the new engine. Also, I was a bit concerned I might 'want one' Little Britain style but two years on with mostly positive posts on Internet forums and Facebook Groups the time is right to get a ride on one at last. Also, I've started following 'User Kate' on her YouTube channel, so was intrigued to find Kate's hilarious review on the 1250 as she blasted her way around the roads somewhere up and around the North West near Manchester. She really piqued my interest, and this young lass doesn't hang about:




I've now owned two big GS's starting with the 1200 Twin Cam Oil coiled I kept for 6 wonderful years and 30k miles touring around Europe, followed by 10k miles on my current 1200 Liquid Cooled I bought a couple of years ago equipped the latest Dynamic Suspension, TFT display, SOS, quickshifter and Hill Hold Assist, so saw this as an Engine test exercise on a model with the same level of spec' as my own. 


I'm happy with my current GS, so went into the test ride with a very critical view. I'd read how much of an improvevemnet the new engine was, then read how some people couldn't tell much difference. Last year while on tour with Motorrad Tours in Northern Spain and Portugal Kevin turned up on a 1250 Exclusive, and his honest assessment after I contacted him recently - one year on, suggested it was much better fuelled, smoother with loads more torque than the 1200. The actual displacement has improved by more than 80cc (the 1200 is actually 1170cc) with a longer stroke and bigger bore, and the then on top there's the Shift-Cam technology that shifts in a different Cam lobe profile at certain revs. I contacted Steve, our Motorrad tour leader who has now ridden 5k miles using the GS and RT models with the 1250, and he agreed with Kevin, and suggested it was more 'evolution' than 'revolution' and would be surprised if I didn't notice the difference.

 

With a quick call to Rybrook Motorrad, I went across to Wolvo' to throw my leg over their Rallye demo model (pictured) resplendent with the HP livery and white hanguards. I'm not too fussed about the Rallye model, and prefer the Exclusive model, but with pretty much the same level of spec' this will do I thought. Everything seemed familiar, no changes in the TFT layout or software, switches etc. Heading down toward Halfpenny Green and Bridgnorth within 10 miles I could feel oodles of extra torque coming out of the bends. Even more of a kick in the butt power, and yet it all felt smoother and more refined as I cracked on up past 4K revs. The quickshifter was definitely slicker, in fact the whole gearbox too. Coming down the fast straight into Bridgnorth I was up to the ton before I knew it. The handling seemed better too for some strange reason, it could be the new tyres, but I don't think so since my bikes were fairly new too. I guess the engine / gearbox smoothness improvements also improve the handling too. 

My main concern with new engine performance was if BMW kept the Boxer twin character I love so much? The roll on - roll off power and engine braking for the twisties that make touring around mountain roads such a delight on the GS fully laden with panniers had to be preserved, and it was, without fault. Perhaps for this reason I felt many would claim to find not much noticable difference when ridden in touring 'sight-seeing' mode, but the versatility of this new engine to change character when ridden quick really put a smile on my face. I felt the same with my first test ride on the 1200 LC some years ago, not being able to tell much difference between Road and Dynamic mode until I realised you had to change your riding style a bit first, get the revs up, hold them longer and get with the 'flow'. It seems now with the 1250 the Dynamic mode has shifted performance to Road mode.

Back at home with a cuppa I did a quick check to make sure my current after market accessories would transfer across without issue e.g. mudguard extender, Radiator guards, and LED spots. It's essential this is the case if I ever  considered a trade in in the future to avoid added cost to accessorise the bike. One thing BMW have really got right is the pannier mounting systems haven't changed since 2013 so I'm pleased to discover my current Vario cases and Top Box would transfer across albeit with the dealer re-coding the locks to the new key. 

I returned the bike back to Rybrook after another hour of spirited riding flipping between Dynamic and Road modes to confirm what I had discovered about the new engine earlier. There has been a lot of talk on social media about BMW changing from Brembo brake calipers on the front wheel to the Hayes BMW badged ones, and I have to say the Hayes ones were definitely sharper in a similar way to my Twin Cam model.  My current Brembo seems spongier even from new so a big plus there and I guess BMW really do try to improve all the time and I'd have to agree with Steve's assessment of Evolution of a bike that needs very little improvement in my eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment