Wednesday 15 July 2020

Shift Cam? - I'm Sold !

Prior to the test ride on a new R 1250 GS I had already considered forsaking this years unused (due to Coronavirus) touring budget in favour of the new GS I had fallen for at the NEC show last November. It was Chris's suggestion to us before he passed earlier this year that I get one - life is too short he said, so with this in mind and after Helen's lengthy phone-calls with many other dealerships across the country a great trade-in deal was soon struck with the chaps at Rybrook Motorrad to supply me with new Exclusive model subject to a favourable test ride. 

I had not actually ridden the 1250 at all, but at least the deal was there if I felt the upgrade from the 1200 to 1250 was worth it. Helen had also negotiated new engine bars and pannier / top box key re-code too, so since the test ride went really well (read my last post) I placed the order for the latest 1250 Exclusive model on a 2020 plate - superstition always has me going for even number years!  

 

My order went in to include the SOS system as I have on my current 1200 Exclusive with the 1250 Exclusive being dressed in Night Storm black metallic paint with the 'Wolves' gold livery. I went for the black 'cast' wheels instead of the gold spoked wheel option Helen reckons looks way too 'blingy' for me and something from the 1970's as part of the F1 John Player Special team! I have to say I agree, and prefer the black cast wheels over spoked wheels and so much easier to keep clean and smart too. 


A week or so to wait for Howard to contact me and let me know she had arrived at Rybrook and I was straight over like a shot the next day to introduce myself to her, taking my panniers and top box with me to get the barrel locks re-coded too. By the time I had arrived the engine bars were fitted and would be ready to collect and do the trade in a few days later (July 14th). Couldn't wait but this would give me chance to remove the accessories from my 1200 e.g. fog lights, fender extender, rear top box plate and radiator guards. 

 

The new Shift-Cam engine, with two cam lobes displayed in the cross section and moving camshaft that shifts in and out. This engine is such an improvement over my 1200 where power is up from 123 bhp to 134 bhp at the same 7750 rpm peak, and peak torque is up from 92 lb.ft to 106 lb.ft, 250rpm lower than before at 6250 rpm. My last two GS's have come with end of line engines, the first was the oil cooled boxer I bought new in 2012 a great engine but BMW replaced it later in the same year with the liquid cooled boxer, and then in 2018 I bought the liquid cooled Exclusive model that was soon replaced with this Shift-Cam model later in the same year. Both have been great and the flat twin boxer engine is so good I couldn't resist getting even at last. The extra power and torque with this is fun and should do me now for a while.  

Click for Bennetts Review

So here she is, on arrival at home fitted with the panniers. Stunning! Can't wait to get touring on her, I think on Andy's suggestion maybe name her 'Wolverine' too with Gold and Black colours.



Our first ride together, as is my tradition the usual photo shot on top of Clee Hill shortly after fitting the accessories:


.. cheers Chris, well pleased !

No comments:

Post a Comment