Friday 30 October 2020

Welsh Border Birthday ride

Nice little run out today on my Birthday. I decided to book the day off and spend the afternoon threading my way down to Much Wenlock, Craven Arms and on towards Knighton. Unfortunately due to Welsh lockdown restrictions I had to take care not to cross the border into Wales at Knighton town so kept well into the English side of the River Teme taking the road up to Clun instead then out past Shobdon in Herefordshire before taking the Tenbury road for a change.


Quite a bit of mud to avoid so no B road lanes today, but some great 'twisties' to ride on the A roads out here between and betwixt wonderful Autumn colours just before the leaves fall as is always the case around my Birthday. Those Autumn colours do seem more vivid this year and while watching BBC's 'Autumn watch' I learned that due to the sunny Spring and slightly wetter Summer there's an increase in Keratin that give the leaf it's brown / red colour - only seen when the Chlorophyll breaks down at this time of year. So, it wasn't just my imagination the foliage that remains seems to standout a lot more.   



I really enjoy the road pictured above between Clun through the village of 'New Invention' and then to Knighton. The patchwork of fields really stands out as the crops are harvested. This is one of my favourite roads and makes an interesting alternative to the A49. Probably my last ride of the motorcycling season now, as I write this we are in Lockdown 2.0, I might squeeze another run in but mid-November my GS will be going into hibernation and so will I, especially now I have some winter reads to tuck into. What a strange year, lets hope 2021 offers more freedom than 2020 and I get to ride on the continent again.  

 
A chocolatey birthday cake baked by Helen and some great winter read pressies from her, my Dad and the kids!


No comments:

Post a Comment