Saturday 25 May 2019

Rhigos Mountain and the Brecons

I fancied a ride out on Saturday, the weather looking promising but with my GS overdue a service I had to be careful I kept it within the extended 1000 mile limit to ensure I didn't void the warranty. Decided to go with Cotswold for this service, cheaper and seem to be sticking to the service schedule. I can't believe I've covered over 6500 miles since taking delivery last August, not bad considering I only get to ride at weekends, but I guess tours of the Alps last September and last months Northern Spain / Portugal account for most of those miles.

Anyway, summer is as good as here now, Mark was up for a ride too with Saturday looking the best option over this bank holiday weekend. We decided to head towards the Brecon Beacons and Mark suggested a ride up Rhigos Mountain in South Wales. 



 L

Nice little run down around the Malverns and Ledbury before heading out toward the Brecons. Mark is getting used to plotting routes on Basecamp now too, so few issues with the GPS's apart from one funny moment it was trying to skip the better road and take us on the A40. I was in front, and Mark saw me head off down the slip road, pulled up but luckily I realised the problem and did a naughty turn around the wrong way up the give way to join him. Never mind. We stopped for a large breakfast at the Steel Horse Cafe near Abergavenny, a popular bikers Cafe stop and the large breakfast with two of everything with a cuppa for £7 was just the job. Quite a few bikes pulled in including what I think is a Ural, and the Can-Am three wheelers. As we left to rejoin the route the car park was full with bikes.





Later, we took a great run out by the reservoir along a great twisty B road through Talybont on Usk, before heading up the Rhigos mountain road. Good fun, managed to get a lick on, with Mark on the Versys in front we had a bit of a play in both directions before stopping in Treorchy for a cuppa, and Mark a nice looking bowl of ice cream I missed out on.


On the way home we decided to go via the usual A470 valley road and refuel in Brecon, and then took that sublime road from Brecon to Builth (B4520) I'll just have to go back and ride that one again soon. A brief stop at Builth where to our amusement there was some kind of Harley/MC club event on with a band playing AC/DC covers before we heading home with Mark peeling off at Leominster and me taking the back road via Tenbury Wells. 😎👍


No comments:

Post a Comment