Wednesday 23 May 2018

No Motorcycles allowed .. meet The Growler!


While the weather In the U.K. Is great for riding motorcycles this week, sods law has it myself and the Mrs are away at our favourite spot in South West Florida at this time, and I guess when we return we will have a month of rain in the UK to dampen my riding opportunities. Usually the way, that's some kind of Karma!

The weather here started unusually wet, with some very stormy afternoons the worst I've seen in the twelve years we've been coming here, certainly for mid-May anyway. Fortunately though, Florida being Florida we don't have to wait too long for improvement, and the temperature never dips below 25 C anyway so today I'm back on the beach reading about bikes instead of riding them as is usual while over here.

I always drop by a 'Walgreens' convenience store and grab a copy of Road Runner Magazine. I really enjoy the articles coming from a US Rider perspective, and reading about the routes they feature. The last copy I had discussed a Ride up in Vermont visiting a Winery there that looked amazing. This copy features some back roads in California not too far from Los Angeles you probably wouldn't consider yet equally inspiring too.


The mag includes pull out routes, one of which I've always fancied doing 'The Tail of the Dragon' down to Deals Gap in the Smokey Mountains part of the Appalachian Mountain range. The ride links up with Blue Ridge Parkway another great run I have read about thanks to Sam Manicom's recent adventures.



I'm getting quite keen these days to ship my bike across here (or rent one), and spend a few weeks riding some of these famous routes. I've seen a few tour companies that offer a good package and will ship the bike for you or arrange a rental. I really do hope I can scrape the money together and do at least one of these tours one year. Having read Neil Pearts books, along with the Road Runner Mag' it's clear the US is not all about freeways and cruising, apart from the obvious Route 66, there's plenty of other lesser known routes to follow not to mention the National Parks. Death Valley in Spring and a ride up Dante's Peak looks a great option too.

  

So on this trip, without a motorcycle to ride I opted to rent a Ford Mustang again, this time a late model in dark menacing grey metallic. It was in the parking 'lot' at Miami Airport growling 'take me', 'Take Me' , 'TAKE ME' (in a Keith Richards tone). The red one on offer looked a bit too vain and pretentious for me 😉, so I grabbed the keys, pushed the button to start up that growler of an engine, and off we took off across the Tamiami. I have to say I love this car, punch the pedal down on the 41 and with a growl between gears it launches you down the road. Got to be careful though, Helen spotted a squad car ahead near the Indian reservation just in time to get it under the limit again.




 


This late model seems even more sporty, and does seem to go round corners better than the last one I had. The sound system has been upgraded. Just the job with the top down and playing some tunes. Can't wait to put it in sport mode and try out the paddle shift later in the week 😎






























No comments:

Post a Comment