Sunday 30 April 2017

May Day Activity

This Bank Holiday weekend I'm taking a few short rides out trying to dodge the weather and traffic. Maybe a ride out to the Cotswolds early Monday we will see. But in the meantime the weekend will give me chance to do some more research on a future trip I have planned across to Southern Ireland and ride some of the Wild Atlantic Way. 

Wild Atlantic Way Karte

Always wanted to return to Southern Ireland having fond memories of a family Holiday over there when I was a mere twelve year old when my Dad and Uncle took their cars and drove me Mum and my brother across to the Dingle Peninsula for a week before driving up to County Mayo for another week to climb Croagh Patrick and do some Trout fishing in the lakes. Dad, a keen fisherman, kept a pub in the Irish part of Brum in the 70s, and some of the regulars introduced him to the idea of fishing the well stocked lakes there. The place was deserted back then with amazing sandy beaches and rugged coastline, and I think it is still quite isolated now and devoid of the levels of tourism we have come to put up with in other parts of Europe. My Dad often asks me why I don't tour the west coast of Ireland on my bike, I think he has a point. It would be good to pick up that Celtic theme while touring North West Spain a few years ago too.

We have been watching a great series on BBC Four called Wild Ireland: The Edge of the World where it's really cemented my desire to return. I have decided on the Fishguard to Rosslare crossing and the basic route I want to run, just need to decide on finer detail and accommodation. Looking at the scenes on TV I'm tempted to take my tent and simply 'get lost' in the wilderness but then maybe a simple pub/Inn affair might suit better where I can try some of that great seafood and of course the Guinness as it should be, and from what I remember live Irish folk music too. Hmm, yes, the more I research, the more I realise the West Coast of Ireland has to move up the bucket list of bike trips away. I enjoyed the west coast of Scotland so it seems the ruggedness of this part of Ireland will appeal to me for a bike trip away in the same way, and relatively shorter distance. Watch this space so any bike touring advice for Ireland 🇮🇪 gratefully received! 

No comments:

Post a Comment